ข้อสงสัย Module 11 เรื่องการแปรของเสียงโดยขึ้นกับหน่วยคำ

(English Pronunciation)
ภูหฤษฎ์ ทองสิน

ข้อสงสัย Module 11 เรื่องการแปรของเสียงโดยขึ้นกับหน่วยคำ

Post by ภูหฤษฎ์ ทองสิน » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:21 pm

A. ตามหัวข้อ 2.1 การแปรของเสียงของหน่วยคำ "s"
มีข้อสงสัยเกี่ยวกับการออกเสียงของคำนามหรือกริยาที่มีเสียงท้ายเป็นเสียง เช่น [s], [ʃ], [ʒ], [ʧ], [ʤ] และ [z] เมื่อมีการเติมหน่วยคำ "s"
ตามหนังสือหน้า 11-10 แสดงการออกเสียงของ buses เป็น /bʌsəz/ แต่เมื่อสืบค้นจากแหล่งข้อมูลภายนอก (Cambridge English pronunciation in use) การออกเสียงของ buses ควรเป็น /bʌsɪz/

จึงสงสัยว่าการออกเสียงของหน่วยคำ "s" ท้ายของคำที่มีเสียงท้ายเป็นเสียง [s], [ʃ], [ʒ], [ʧ], [ʤ] และ [z] ควรออกเสียงเป็น /ɪz/ หรือ /əz/

ฺB. ตามหัวข้อ 2.2 การแปรของเสียงของหน่วยคำ "ed"
ตามหนังสือหน้า 11-11 แสดงการออกเสียงของ lifted เป็น /lɪftəd/ แต่เมื่อสืบค้นจากแหล่งข้อมูลภาย (Cambridge English pronunciation in use) ควรออกเสียงเป็น/lɪftid/

จึงสงสัยว่าการออกเสียงของหน่วยคำ "ed" ท้ายของคำที่มีเสียงท้ายเป็นเสียง [t] และ [d] ควรออกเสียงเป็น /ɪd/ หรือ /əd/

Ekkawit P

Re: ข้อสงสัย Module 11 เรื่องการแปรของเสียงโดยขึ้นกับหน่วยคำ

Post by Ekkawit P » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:05 pm

Dear Khun Phuharis and all juniors

This is a very interesting point Khun Phuharis has just posted on this Forum Board, which I haven’t seen this type of queries on the 14320 Forum Board for quite some time.

While you’re still waiting for the best answer from Ajarn(s), I would like to share with you my understanding on this matter, as follows:

1. Since 14320 is the fundamental course on English pronunciation for us, English major students, at Bachelor’s degree level, I think the authors of all modules in the 14320 Student’s Manual might not want to elaborate too much on both Received Pronunciation (RP) and General American (GA) at the same time for every topics/modules as it would probably confuse the students even more.

2. From my above hypothesis, let me give you some explanations for your questions, based on my understanding:
For A, “buses” and other words ending with [s], [ʃ], [ʒ], [ʧ], [ʤ] and [z], they can be pronounced in two (standard) ways/accents:
• Received Pronunciation (RP)
- buses | ˈbʌ.sɪz |
- wishes | ˈwɪ.ʃɪz |
- witches | ˈwɪ.tʃɪz |

• General American (GA)
- buses | ˈbʌ.səz |
- wishes | ˈwɪ.ʃəz |
- witches | ˈwɪ.tʃəz |

***Personally, I quite agree with the author that the pronunciation in accordance with the Received Pronunciation (RP) or British accents in this category is quite difficult, with the “ɪz” sound.

For B, it’s similary about Received Pronunciation (RP) and General American (GA).
• Received Pronunciation (RP)
- lifted | ˈlɪf.tɪd |
- translated | trænz.ˈleɪ.tɪd |
- isolated | ˈaɪ.sə.leɪ.tɪd |

• General American (GA)
- lifted | ˈlɪf.təd |
- translated | trænz.ˈleɪ.təd |
- isolated | ˈaɪ.sə.ˌle.təd |
***SORRY FOR THE MISTAKE IN MY INITIAL MESSAGE ON "TRANSIT".

However, you shouldn’t worry much about what you have to choose during the exam or test as I believe Ajarn(s) won’t want to confuse you by giving both choices of RP and GA in any circumstance. I think…!?!? So, at this stage, your understanding should be based on what appears in the Student’s Manual only.

Hope you enjoy 14320 na krub.

Best wishes always,
Ekkawit
Class of 2015

narinthip.tho

Post by narinthip.tho » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:05 am

Many thx to K.Ekawit though first of all. Nice to hear from u.

To answer this question which is a good question. I've tried to collect the ideas from our school teachers and also the writer of the unit. It can be concluded that Yes, it is a difference between BrEng and AmEng. It also depends on regional dialects.
/iz/ is most common for busES But I have heard the native speakers say it the other way too.
Same is true for /id/ in liftID...

I would stick to the most proper pronunciation, but there are some slight regional differences because of dialect.

คงพอให้ความกระจ่างได้นะคะ อย่างไรก็ตามขอให้นศ.ระลึกไว้ว่ามันมีความหลากหลายของความแตกต่างในเนื้อหาโมดูล แต่นศ.ควรต้อง stick to เนื้อหาที่ให้ไว้ในคู่มือนะค่ะ

อ.นรินทร์ทิพย์

ภูหฤษฎ์ ทองสิน

Post by ภูหฤษฎ์ ทองสิน » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:30 am

ขอบคุณอาจารย์ และรุ่นพี่ครับ
แต่เนื่องจากว่าเนื้อหาก่อนหน้าเน้นกล่าวถึงในสำเนียง RP ผมจึงคิดว่าบทนี้ก็ควรจะเน้นในสำเน้น RP เช่นกัน
และจากที่อาจารย์ให้คำตอบ นั่นหมายความว่าการออกเสียงหน่วยคำ "s" ท้ายคำที่ลงท้ายด้วยเสียง /z//s/ /ʃ/ /ʧ/ /ʤ/ ไม่มีมาตรฐานการออกเสียงที่แน่ชัดใช่ไหมครับ
แล้ว the most proper pronunciation ตามความหมายของอาจารย์ คือเสียง /əz/ หรือ /ɪz/ ครับ หรือขึ้นอยู่กับปัจจัยอื่นด้วย
และผมถ้าผมต้องการที่จะเน้นการออกเสียงเพื่อการสื่อสารไปที่สำเนียง RP ผมต้องออกเสียงเป็น /ɪz/ ใช่ไหมครับ

narinthip.tho

Post by narinthip.tho » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:10 am

Exactly that is the most proper pronunciation but sometimes dialect get in the way though. สรุปมี dialect มาเป็นตัวแปรได้อีกค่ะ

Return to “14320 การออกเสียงภาษาอังกฤษ [2/62]”