Module 8 Common Errors

(English Writing 1)
AjAlan

Module 8 Common Errors

Post by AjAlan » Tue May 21, 2019 2:24 am

Good morning, Students!

Please review the following examples of common errors found in your Module 8 assignment:

1. About the activities in online there are score of 40 points, so you must be send task on time, read books, do exercises and understand it.
2. My first times, I enrolled course online.
3. Even though we thought that the first assignment was hard, we didn’t panicked.
4. During the first day, we were so excited and nervous in this course, some of us were a bit worried about our English Writing Skills, some was worried working in the team tasks, but we will discuss and improved on that later.
5. Finally, sensation of our first-day online learning can be proven from intention and working submission.
6. The second and third task helped us a lot to improve our writing skills. It gave us a chance to learn from various work, on the other hand, it let us know how was our work are and how we could improve it.
7. As well as practice patience in waiting in a group working together.
8. Finally, We have soured and researched our information online via D4L+P, so we have acquired better grammar, writing, and reading.

As always, I appreciate your efforts to carefully learn from your mistakes. Note that the purpose of these posts is not to shame you or tell you what you did wrong. I share these "common" errors to help the entire class learn from the biggest writing issues found in each assignment, so every student/team can learn the necessary skills to become better writers. Again, I refer you to my previous post on the writing process; this process, if closely followed, will only help you write more proficiently. It is there for your reference; use it as often as possible.

Please feel free to submit your suggested corrections for the above sentences. I will post my corrections and explanations next Wednesday.

Keep working hard! Write on...

Best,
Aj. Alan

Schicksal

Re: Module 8 Common Errors

Post by Schicksal » Thu May 23, 2019 5:26 am

Dear Ajarn Alan,

Thank you for providing the exercises for us.
I would like to take this opportunity to improve my writing skills.

1. As there are 40 points for online activities, we have to read the course book, understand the course content, do the exercises and submit the tasks on time.
2. This was the first time I enrolled on an online course.
3. Although we thought that the first assignment was difficult, we didn’t panic.
4. On the first day, we were so excited and nervous about this course. Some of us were a bit worried about their English writing skills. Some had been worried about doing the team tasks, but later we discussed and improved our work.
5. Finally, the tension on our first-day learning online could be relived after team collaboration on task submission.
6. The second and third tasks helped us improve our writing skills a lot. It gave us a chance to learn from various examples. Moreover, it provided information about the quality of our work and how we could improve it.
7. In addition, we learned to be patient working together as a group.
8. Since we have studied the resources of online information provided on D4L+P, we have acquired and improved our grammar, writing, and reading skills.

Have a nice day :)

AjAlan

Post by AjAlan » Thu May 30, 2019 3:13 am

Good morning, Students.

Please see my examples of suggested corrections below:

1. About the activities in online there are score of 40 points, so you must be send task on time, read books, do exercises and understand it.
Correction: "As there are 40 points for online activities, we have to read the course book, understand the course content, do the exercises and submit the tasks on time." The content is fine but the structure should be more polished. Be careful with word choices and clause structure to avoid confusion.

Correction: The content is there but needs polishing so the sentence is more understandable. For example, you might say, "This is my first time I have enrolled in an online course." Also be careful with singular/plural...first time.

3. Even though we thought that the first assignment was hard, we didn’t panicked.
Correction: The first clause is perfect and the sentence is structured well, just be careful with correct parts of speech. The final clause should be "we didn't panick."

4. During the first day, we were so excited and nervous in this course, some of us were a bit worried about our English Writing Skills, some was worried working in the team tasks, but we will discuss and improved on that later.
Correction: "On the first day, we were so excited and nervous about this course. Some of us were a bit worried about our English writing skills and working on the team tasks, but we can discuss and work together on that." The content is fine but needs some cleaning up as far as word choices, parts of speech, and punctuation. Compare my suggested edit with the original.

5. Finally, sensation of our first-day online learning can be proven from intention and working submission.
Correction: "Sensation" is a bit confusing and awkward here. Should you say "excited" instead? Also, work carefully with sentence structure (use of articles, word patterns) and other word choices. You might say, "Finally, the excitement of our first day of online learning can be proven from our desire to learn and our assignment submission."

6. The second and third task helped us a lot to improve our writing skills. It gave us a chance to learn from various work, on the other hand, it let us know how was our work are and how we could improve it.
Correction: The content is there but structure and grammar needs some cleaning up. Be careful with singular and plural (second and third tasks). Read your sentence carefully before placing punctuation marks; you need a period or semicolon before "on the other hand" or you have a comma splice, a pretty big grammatical error. If you have two complete thoughts remember to separate them with correct punctuation. Please refer to my previous post on punctuation. Also, "a lot" usually goes at the end of sentences.
You might say, "The second and thrid tasks helped improve our writing skills a lot. It gave us a chance to learn from various activities. On the other hand, it showed us the quality of our work (how good or bad our work was) and how to improve it."

Correction: The content is fine but this is not a complete sentence the way it is structured. You could make it more concise and easy by removing the first phrase and rewording: "It takes patience and practice to work (well) together in a group."

8. Finally, We have soured and researched our information online via D4L+P, so we have acquired better grammar, writing, and reading.
Correction: The content and structure of the sentence is good, but the writing needs a bit of polishing. Pay attention to capitalization (do not capitalize "we" unless is begins the sentence) and watch spelling as well (soured is a misspelling). Try to choose vocabulary choices carefully ("researched information" could be more specific: "studied course content").

For corrections regarding word choices, I suggest using a dictionary and thesaurus. Also, feel free to utilize free online grammar checkers and you may, of course, always ask your teachers questions too. :)

Developing writing skills is a long process. Don't give up. You are all doing great. Keep working hard.
Should you have further questions about my edits, please let me know.

Have a wonderful Thursday!

AjAlan

Post by AjAlan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:17 am

AjAlan wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:13 am
Good morning, Students.

Please see my examples of suggested corrections below:

Correction: "As there are 40 points for online activities, we have to read the course book, understand the course content, do the exercises and submit the tasks on time." The content is fine but the structure should be more polished. Be careful with word choices and clause structure to avoid confusion.

Correction: The content is there but needs polishing so the sentence is more understandable. For example, you might say, "This is my first time I have enrolled in an online course." Also be careful with singular/plural...first time.

Correction: The first clause is perfect and the sentence is structured well, just be careful with correct parts of speech. The final clause should be "we didn't panick."

Correction: "On the first day, we were so excited and nervous about this course. Some of us were a bit worried about our English writing skills and working on the team tasks, but we can discuss and work together on that." The content is fine but needs some cleaning up as far as word choices, parts of speech, and punctuation. Compare my suggested edit with the original.

Correction: "Sensation" is a bit confusing and awkward here. Should you say "excited" instead? Also, work carefully with sentence structure (use of articles, word patterns) and other word choices. You might say, "Finally, the excitement of our first day of online learning can be proven from our desire to learn and our assignment submission."

Correction: The content is there but structure and grammar needs some cleaning up. Be careful with singular and plural (second and third tasks). Read your sentence carefully before placing punctuation marks; you need a period or semicolon before "on the other hand" or you have a comma splice, a pretty big grammatical error. If you have two complete thoughts remember to separate them with correct punctuation. Please refer to my previous post on punctuation. Also, "a lot" usually goes at the end of sentences.
You might say, "The second and thrid tasks helped improve our writing skills a lot. It gave us a chance to learn from various activities. On the other hand, it showed us the quality of our work (how good or bad our work was) and how to improve it."

Correction: The content is fine but this is not a complete sentence the way it is structured. You could make it more concise and easy by removing the first phrase and rewording: "It takes patience and practice to work (well) together in a group."

Correction: The content and structure of the sentence is good, but the writing needs a bit of polishing. Pay attention to capitalization (do not capitalize "we" unless it begins the sentence) and watch spelling as well (soured is a misspelling). Try to choose vocabulary choices carefully ("researched information" could be more specific: "studied course content").

For corrections regarding word choices, I suggest using a dictionary and thesaurus. Also, feel free to utilize free online grammar checkers and you may, of course, always ask your teachers questions too. :)

Developing writing skills is a long process. Don't give up. You are all doing great. Keep working hard.
Should you have further questions about my edits, please let me know.

Have a wonderful Thursday!

Return to “14214 การเขียนภาษาอังกฤษ 1 [2/61]”