Module 2 Common Errors

(English Writing 1)
AjAlan

Module 2 Common Errors

Post by AjAlan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:29 am

Dear Students,

After reviewing your first task in Module 2, I want to post a number of sentences that show some common errors.

Please carefully read each sentence and try to find the mistakes. On Wednesday, I will post corrections and explanations. Feel free to reply to this post with your suggested corrections. Let's make this an interactive learning activity.

Let's begin! Identify any mistakes you find in the following sentences:

1) My family have 3 members ,my father , I am and my old brother .
2) In my free times I will do activities; swimming and cycling, I was trained to swim when I was young.
3) I am married and don’t have my childrent.
4) Although I’m disabled person, but I think positively.
5) We love traveling to the North of Thailand where has some forests ,mountains and fresh air such as Chiangmai.
6) In my spare time I like to excercite , searching the internet , listen to the music , Watching the English movie and series. When I have freetime I’m learn more language from books. That is fun for me.
7) After I graduate I plan to work Flight Attendant or Air Hostess.
8) It is development them for future.

Good luck!

Schicksal

Re: Module 2 Common Errors

Post by Schicksal » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:55 am

Dear Ajarn Alan,

Please see my suggested corrections below. Your feedback will help me improve my writing skills.

1)My family have 3 members ,my father , I am and my old brother .
My family is composed of three people: my father, my older brother and me.

2)In my free times I will do activities; swimming and cycling, I was trained to swim when I was young.
I practiced swimming when I was a kid. Swimming and cycling are my hobbies.

3)I am married and don’t have my childrent.
I am married and don’t have any children.

4)Although I’m disabled person, but I think positively.
Despite my disability, I am optimistic.
Although I’m a disabled person, I always think positively.

5)We love traveling to the North of Thailand where has some forests ,mountains and fresh air such as Chiangmai.
We love to visit places in northern Thailand that offer forests, mountains and fresh air, for example, Chiang
Mai.

6)In my spare time I like to excercite , searching the internet , listen to the music , Watching the English movie and series. When I have freetime I’m learn more language from books. That is fun for me.
In my spare time I like to exercise, surf the Internet, listen to music and watch English movies and series.
I enjoy learning foreign languages by reading books whenever I'm free .

7)After I graduate I plan to work Flight Attendant or Air Hostess.
I plan to work as a flight attendant after my graduation.

8)It is development them for future. <<< Sorry, I have no idea what the writer tried to say.

Thank you and have a nice weekend

Thanaphan

Post by Thanaphan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:13 am

Hi, Aj. Alan. Thank you for this exercise. Let me try.

1) My family has 3 members: my father, my old brother, and me.
2) In my free time, I go swimming and cycling. I learned to swim when I was young.
3) I am married but I don’t have any children.
4) Although I am a disabled person, I think positively. (maybe "think positive"?)
5) We love traveling to the North of Thailand where there are forests, mountains and fresh air. Chiangmai (?)
6) In my spare time I like to excercise, surf the internet, listen to the music, watch English movies and series. When I have free time, I learn more about the language from books. That is fun for me.
7) I plan to work as a flight attendant after I graduate.
8) ?

AjAlan

Post by AjAlan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:06 pm

Thank you for your responses.

For each sentence, there is more than one way to correct the errors found.
I will use the suggested corrections when appropriate and give a brief explanation.

1. My family has 3 members: my father, my older brother, and me.
Explanations: 1) Only one family is mentioned here, so the subject and verb must match. 2) use of a colon is correct punctuation here because the family members are being listed. 3) Old just means someone has lived a very long time. Older is a comparative. A comparative is used for two things or people; here the writer is saying he/she has a brother that was born before him/her. (comparative ages)

2. In my free time, I go swimming and cycling. I learned to swim when I was young.
Explanations: 1) Free time is a generic term used to describe any number of times when you have nothing important to do, so no - s is necessary. 2) Swimming and cycling are activities, so there is no need to label them. 3) Swimming is something you learn how to do, like a school subject or other activity. "Training is more professional and dry (only study, lecture, read) while " learning" includes all those things related to training but is more general and practical, allowing people to get firsthand experience and practice. 4) Swimming and cycling are both mentioned, but only swimming is given in the second sentence. To be consistent, either include when you learned to swim and when you learned to cycle, or do not mention cycling in the first sentence.

3. I am married but don't have any children.
Explanations: 1) The most obvious mistake is the misspelled word: children. 2) Including "any" before children tells the reader that you don't have now and didn't have years before either, never had children... 3) The conjunction "but" is best here because once people have been married a while society assumes that most married people have children.

4. Although I’m a disabled person, I always think positively.
Explanations: 1) You need an I definite article before "disabled person" because you are one of many disabled people. 2) Because of the "although" at the beginning of sentence, there is no need to include the "but." 3) "Think posivitely" is correct be because it is an adverb, saying how to think.

5. We love to visit places in northern Thailand that offer forests, mountains and fresh air. Chiang Mai is a great place to visit if you're in the region.
Explanations: 1) Saying "northern Thailand" is more concise language. Keep things simple in your writing. 2) To avoid unnecessary punctuation errors, it is better to split these clauses into separate sentences, especially if you're going to talk more about Chiang Mai in the sentences that follow.

6. In my spare time I like to exercise, surf the Internet, listen to music and watch English movies and series. I also enjoy learning foreign languages by reading books whenever I'm free.
Explanations: 1) Keep verb tenses the same,. If in the infinitive, keep them in the infinite. if in the progressive, keep all verbs in the progressive form. 2) misspelled word: exercise. 3) There is no need to use the definite article unless you are talking about a specific movie or series. 4) Because the second sentence continues with what you like to do, include a discourse marker to help organize and smoothly transition between sentences. 5) "I'm" is a contraction that means "I am." Here you just need to say "I learn..." because you are talking about what you do in your free time. You could also say, "I'm learning languages... in my free time" if you want to emphasize that this is an ongoing pastime that you enjoy doing.

7. I plan to work as a flight attendant or air hostess after my graduation.
Explanations: 1) If you are talking about a job title generally within a sentence, there is no need to capitalize it. (Please refer to my post on capitalization for more detail.) 2) When speaking generally about jobs, include the indefinite article because you're talking a job that other people also have; you are not the only one who wants to do this job.

8. It will help develop their future.
Explanations: 1) The original did not make sense and was not even a complete sentence as it was written. 2) Knowing the part of speech of the words you use is very important. 3) Avoid writing sentences like this because such sentences are poorly written.

I hope this helps clarify some of the common errors found in the previous writing assignment.

Best,
Aj. Alan

Schicksal

Post by Schicksal » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Dear Aj. Alan,

Thank you so much for your detailed and clear explanations :) :) :)
Have a nice Songkran time

Return to “14214 การเขียนภาษาอังกฤษ 1 [2/61]”