I need help urgently! The two sets of instructions on Task 1 due 12 November 2018 are not clear.

(English Writing 2)
Tansy

I need help urgently! The two sets of instructions on Task 1 due 12 November 2018 are not clear.

Post by Tansy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:37 am

I've filled in the blanks in Part I. Now, I'm at Part II.

In the 14421(1-61)M9T1Texts&Questions(Final).doc file, the instructions are

"Part II: Continue working with the SAME text you have chosen in Part I, identifying its paragraph components and writing them in the space provided on the Task 1 Worksheet."

In the 14421(1-61)M9T1Wksheet(Final).doc file, the instructions are "Write a topic sentence, supporting details and a concluding sentence."

The two sets of instructions are contradicting with one another for the reason that I can't possibly write so many things (as required by the second set of instructions) with the "chosen texts that are filled in the blanks (as required by the first set of instructions)."

Can somebody please enlighten me as to what I should do?

Ekkawit P

Re: I need help urgently! The two sets of instructions on Task 1 due 12 November 2018 are not clear.

Post by Ekkawit P » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:16 am

Dear Khun Tansy

I’m not sure if I can really help; but I’ll try. However, I can only tell you what I believe it should be, based on the instructions and criteria during my time in 2014 which shouldn’t be much different from what you’re having this semester.
FROM D4L (during my time)
Task:
Identify and revise the following paragraphs as follows:
Part I: The following texts contain missing information. Choose ONE of these
texts and fill in the blanks of the chosen text with the correct information,
using the choices from those provided in the box and writing the letters
of the selected choices on the Task 1 Worksheet provided.
Part II: Work with the SAME text you chose for Part 1. Analyze the organization
of the text and fill the blanks for topic sentence, supporting details and
concluding sentence on the Task 1 Worksheet provided.

Criteria:
1. Do the task on the worksheet attached.
2. Your task should be in English.
3. Part I: When identifying the missing features, write only the letter of
the selected choice on the worksheet.
4. Part II: When identifying the paragraph components, write out each
one using complete sentences on the worksheet. You can follow the
wording of the text or use your own wording as you see fit.
Maybe the point you see “the two sets of instructions are contradicting with one another …” is caused by the term “paragraph components” in the Part II instruction of your Task1 Texts&Questions. I really don’t know if the Criteria during this semester would be similar to or as same as the Criteria of my time.

It seems very much to me that the term “paragraph components” in this case would simply refer to “a topic sentence, supporting details and a concluding sentence” in your Task 1 Worksheet, so the task in Part II is to write about 4-5 sentences only, depending on the length and the content of your assigned text.

Hope my opinion would give you some clear picture on how to work on this Task.

However, I wish Ajarn would give you the best answer to your query very soon.

Enjoy the course na krub!

Best wishes always,
Ekkawit
Class of 2015

Tansy

Re: I need help urgently! The two sets of instructions on Task 1 due 12 November 2018 are not clear.

Post by Tansy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:21 pm

Dear Khun Ekkawit,

Thanks so much for your kind assistance. The 2014 instructions and the 2018 instructions are the same.

The first set of instructions say "Part II: Continue working with the SAME text you have chosen in Part I, identifying its paragraph components and writing them in the space provided on the Task 1 Worksheet."
^
If I have to work with the text I have chosen, I won't have enough words to write a topic sentence, supporting details and a concluding sentence as required in the worksheet.

I hope one of the teachers will clarify my doubts, otherwise I have to do a guesswork for submission within the deadline.

Regards,
Tansy

Ekkawit P

Post by Ekkawit P » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:14 pm

Dear Khun Tansy

I must admit that I couldn’t imagine what kind of Text 1 you have for this semester.
I just think any text given in Module 9 Task 1 should have a topic sentence, supporting details and a concluding sentence; otherwise there must be something wrong with the text.

And when you said: “If I have to work with the text I have chosen, I won't have enough words to write a topic sentence, supporting details and a concluding sentence as required in the worksheet,” it made me even more curious. However, I think I might not be able to opine any further since I don’t have enough information about any of the texts given to you and other juniors for the Task.

By the way, I’ve gone back to the message you posted for the first time for this thread and re-read this paragraph of yours:
“… I can't possibly write so many things (as required by the second set of instructions) with the "chosen texts that are filled in the blanks (as required by the first set of instructions)."

You don’t write anything out of the "chosen texts that are filled in the blanks”, but no. 4 of the Criteria stated that “you can follow the wording of the text or use your own wording as you see fit.” This should be that you can take one sentence in the originally given text and identify it as a topic sentence, a few sentences as supporting details and another sentence as a concluding sentence; or you can rewrite some sentences when appropriate.

Hope you can make it in an appropriate way.

Good luck!

Best wishes always,
Ekkawit

Jaraswat

Post by Jaraswat » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:15 am

For Part 2, just write the topic sentence, all 4 supporting details (just one sentence each), and the concluding sentence of the text you work on in Part 1. Please use the worksheet provided, as it will help you understand what is expected.

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:33 am

I can cover the topic sentence, all 4 supporting details (just one sentence each), and the concluding sentence only by using the texts from the passage in combination with my own ideas. I can't just use the texts filled in the blank in Part I--there won't be enough words.

Thank you, Khun Ekkawit and Ajarn Jaraswat.

Return to “14421 การเขียนภาษาอังกฤษ 2 [1/61]”