Post by KrittayaLee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:47 am

ขออนุญาตสอบถามค่ะ

ในหนังสือโมดูลที่ 8 หน้าที่ 6
รูปแบบทำนองเสียงภาษาอังกฤษ แบ่งเป็น 4 รูปแบบ
1. Rising-Falling
2. Rising
3. Special Intonation Pattern
4. Tag Question

แต่พอหน้าที่ 9 Tag Question รวมอยู่ใน Special Intonation Pattern เลยอยากทราบว่า สรุปแล้วจัดแบ่งเป็นกี่ประเภทคะ

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
หน้าที่ 9 Double yes-no question ที่เชื่อมด้วย or
Would you like tea or coffee? มันมีทำนองเสียงสองแบบ ซึ่งจะทำให้ความหมายไม่เหมือนกันใช่ไหมคะ
เส้นแสดงทำนองเสียง ก็เขียนไว้สองแบบ
แต่จากที่สังเกต เส้นแสดงทำนองเสียงของประโยคที่สองก็ไม่ได้ shift ขึ้นสูงแล้วตกลงมาเหมือนกับ Rising falling แต่เป็นโค้งๆ เหมือนภูเขา
ก็เลยไม่แน่ใจว่ามันคือ rising falling ไหม
แต่ในคำอธิบายบอกว่าเป็น Rising Intonation ทั้งคู่ แล้วมันจะออกเสียงประมาณไหนหรอคะอาจารย์

ส่วนในแบบฝึกหัดที่ 3
ข้อ 4. Would you like a magnet or a key ring?
ข้แ 8. Would you like to study Philosophy or Psychology?
หนูเข้าใจว่า จะต้องเป็นแบบ Would you like tea or coffee? แบบที่ 2 ในหน้าที่ 9 แต่เฉลยออกมาเป็นแบบที่ 1
อยากจะขอรบกวนอาจารย์ช่วยอธิบายเหตุผลให้ทราบได้ไหมคะ

Ekkawit P

Re: โมดูลที่ 8 รูปแบบทำนองเสียงมีกี่แบบ และ Double yes-no question ที่เชื่อมด้วย or

Post by Ekkawit P » Tue May 29, 2018 4:55 am

Dear Khun Krittaya

I think you and your course mates should be studying Modules 8 or 9 now. However, I can’t help wondering why there are very few queries on this 14320 Forum Board, especially on some Modules which I think are quite difficult to understand. Maybe you and your course mates understand all of them very well.

For your queries on page 6 of Module 8 and Exercise 3, I think there should be their correction in the Correction List, which should have come together with the course’s student manual you had received. I’m not sure though.

What I would like to discuss with you here is about the “double yes-no question, with or”. The same query as yours had also been raised every semester this course was available for students. But what I would share with you and your course mates here are most of what Ajarn Chris and I posted on the course’s Forum Board respectively on March 7 and 8, 2014, in response to a query posted on 14320 Forum Board. Yes, my dear, FOUR YEARS AND TWO MONTHS AGO.

Ajarn Chris:

If the intonation goes up at 'tea' and stays up until the end, it means 'would you like something to drink?'
If the intonation goes up at 'tea', there's a brief pause, and then 'coffee' is rising-falling, the stress is on choosing one of the two alternatives - which one do you want?
I don't have the book with me at the moment, so I can't check this. In practice they are equivalent, in this case at least.

Ekkawit:

Dear Khun Xxxxxx

First of all, I have to say that I do agree with you on ONE POINT that there’s something wrong with the translation (but the translation didn’t mismatch) and with Ajarn Chris on ANOTHER POINT, which he said “In practice they are equivalent, in this case at least.”

With reference to your query, “ไม่ทราบว่า 2 ประโยคนี้แปลสลับกันหรือเปล่าคะ”, I think the translation of the first sentence (Would you like tea or coffee?), with the rising+rising intonation, can really mean “คุณจะรับชาหรือกาแฟไหม?” in Thai as the textbook says. But for the second sentence (Would you like tea or coffee?) with rising+rising falling intonation, which the textbook says “หมายถึง คุณจะดื่มอะไรไหม?”, I personally think the translation is a little weird, if not wrong. In fact, I think, it should be something like “… หมายถึง คุณจะดื่มอะไรดีล่ะ ชาหรือกาแฟ?” or “… คุณจะดื่มชาหรือกาแฟดีล่ะ?”

On the point that Ajarn Chris said “In practice they are equivalent…”, I also agree with this in some degree.

Even though you may have already known the meanings of these two sentences, may I elaborate a little bit so that some course mates who are interested in your raised topic may see the points and would like to share their opinions too.

Sentence No. 1: Would you like TEA or COFFEE? --> RISING or RISING

In this case, the reply can either be YES or NO as you know it.

1st Possibility -- So, if “you” would like something to drink, the answer would have to be “YES”. Then, the person who had asked the question would have to ask again: “What would you like?” Now, you may say: “Coffee, please.” Or if you don’t need any milk, cream or Coffee Mate, you can tell him/her straight away in one occasion by adding “… I like it black,” or “Make it black, please,” or whatever.

2nd Possibility – If you don’t want any of them (not tea, not coffee), you can say “No, thank you.”

Sentence No. 2: “Would you like TEA or cOFfee?” --> RISING or riSING FALling

In this second case, it is DIFFERENT. THIS IS NOT ANY “YES-NO QUESTION” because the person who has asked the question would like to know “which one you would like to have – tea or coffee?” Its intonation seems to be RISING and then falling after a stress on the word “cOFfee.”

So, a possible answer can be “Tea, please.”, or “Coffee, please.”, or even “No, thank you. I’m fine.”

Then, after all, what Ajarn Chris said “In practice they are equivalent, in this case at least” is also CORRECT. This is because we would finally end up having something to drink if we like, or having nothing to drink if we don't like to have some.

However, I think this part of the text, with the translation, should be revised, possibly with an addition of a longer explanation in Thai.

Enjoy your course krub!

Hope the above replies give you and your course mates some clearer understanding na krub.

Best wishes always,
Ekkawit
Class of 2015

chrish

Re: โมดูลที่ 8 รูปแบบทำนองเสียงมีกี่แบบ และ Double yes-no question ที่เชื่อมด้วย or

Post by chrish » Thu May 31, 2018 3:10 am

Thanks for answering this, Khun Ekkawit. I will just make a few brief comments. For the yes-no intonation, if “tea or coffee” rises twice, then the question is asking you to choose between the two alternatives. If it only rises at “tea” and remains up, it’s not stressing the choice aspect and is synonymous to “would you like something to drink (tea or coffee for example)?” This distinction is quite subtle, and I wouldn’t worry too much about it, although there is one item on it in the Module 10 online practice.

For the second point, tag questions can either have rising or falling tone. One with a rising tone means you are really not sure of the answer. If it is given a falling tone, you believe you know the answer, and the tag is just checking. There are three or four items on this in Module 10 – I suggest you listen to the recording carefully to learn to distinguish them. Hope that helps!

Ekkawit P

Post by Ekkawit P » Thu May 31, 2018 5:03 am

Dear Ajarn Chris

You're always very welcome krub.

However, I think you've got a little mixed up here; and the students might be confusing with this part of your comment na krub.

"For the yes-no intonation, if “tea or coffee” rises twice, then the question is asking you to choose between the two alternatives."

You can probably edit this part and re-submit your comment krub, Ajarn.

Best regards,
Ekkawit

narinthip.tho

Post by narinthip.tho » Thu May 31, 2018 9:27 am

ขอเพิ่มเติมเป็นภาษาไทยนิดหนึ่งบางประเด็นดังนี้คะ
1. เรื่องการแบ่งประเภทรูปแบบทำนองเสียง เป็นการแบ่งตามความเห็นของผู้เขียน การนำ tag question แยกออกมาเป็นเหมือนการขยายความ และอธิบายเพิ่มเติมให้เห็นความมีลักษณะพิเศษเพิ่มขึ้นนศ.ไม่ควรกังวลในประเด็นนี้มากเกินไปนะคะ
2. ประเด็นเส้นเสียงหน้าที่ 9 มีปรับขีดเส้นตามแจ้งในใบแก้คำผิดนะคะ

สำหรับแบบฝึกหัดที่ 3 กำลังสอบถามไปที่อ.ผู้เขียนเพื่อความชัดเจนคะ

ขอบคุณคุณเอกวิทย์นะคะที่มาช่วยแสดงความคิดเห็น
นรินทร์ทิพย์

chrish

Post by chrish » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:06 am

That statement is describing the "two alternatives" version the way I understand it, Kh Ekkawit. Perhaps even more important is that there is a pause after "tea" here. This is similar to contrast intonation, by the way.

Ekkawit P

Post by Ekkawit P » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:01 am

Dear Ajarn Chris

Sorry about that krub. I know what you mean now, with a pause after the first choice.

Regards,
Ekkawit

KrittayaLee

Post by KrittayaLee » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:49 am

ก่อนอื่น.. หนูขอแจ้งว่าตัวหนูเอง ไม่เคยได้รับเอกสารแก้ไขคำผิดที่มาพร้อมกับหนังสือเลยค่ะ
ตั้งแต่เรียนมาทั้งหมด 13 วิชา ผ่านไปแล้ว 10 วิชานั้น
อาจจะมีบ้างที่เห็นในระบบออนไลน์ เช่น วิชา 214 เขียน 1
อาจารย์จะแปะแก้คำที่ผิดไว้ในแต่ละโมดูลที่มีให้โหลดเอกสารการเรียน
ถามว่าคนอื่นได้เอกสารกันทุกคนไหม หนูไม่ทราบ
แต่เพื่อนๆ ที่หนูคุยด้วย ประมาณ 4-5 คน ก็ไม่ได้รับเอกสารแก้ไขคำผิดเช่นกัน
หลายคนสังเกตเห็นที่ผิด หรือที่คิดว่าน่าจะผิด แต่ไม่ได้มาโพสบอกอาจารย์
หนูคิดว่า การที่หนูมาโพสก่อนสอบ แล้วอาจารย์มาตอบ ก็อาจจะช่วยทั้งผู้อ่านและผู้เขียนได้ระดับนึง
ต้องบอกก่อนว่า.. ไม่ได้ตั้งใจจับผิดแต่อย่างใดนะคะ
แต่อ่านแล้วสงสัย ถามเพื่อน เพื่อนก็ให้ความกระจ่างได้ไม่ 100% เลยมาโพสถามค่ะ

**ขอเสนอให้โพสเอกสารแก้คำผิดไว้ในบอร์ดด้วยทุกครั้งที่เปิดเทอมใหม่ หรือแปะไว้ในระบบ d4lp ด้วยค่ะ**

เนื่องจากคำถามเหล่านี้ โพสไว้ตั้งแต่เดือนมีนาคม
เพิ่งได้รับคำตอบหลังจากผ่านมา 2 เดือน
หนูขออ่านทวนเนื้อหาใหม่ทั้งหมดก่อนนะคะ

ขอบพระคุณรุ่นพี่และอาจารย์ที่สละเวลามาตอบค่ะ

narinthip.tho

Post by narinthip.tho » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:43 am

http://d4lp.stou.ac.th/learningEnv/edit ... LEID=21080 โพสไว้ตลอดเวลาใน D4lp มานานแล้วคะ หัวข้อรายละเอียดชุดวิชานะคะ

narinthip.tho

Post by narinthip.tho » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:12 am

The second pattern is considered 'rising falling but with the use of what we call a 'slide'.
In a double yes-no question, it should be rising intonation. When it's rising intonation, it's a genuine question. จิงจิงแล้วแบบ2แล้วแต่intention ของคนพูด ใส่เพื่อไห้เห็นว่าเป็นไปได้ขึ้นอยู่กับcontext or conversation but if there is no context, please stick to the first pattern which is rising intonation.

The second pattern is just to show that it's possible that the speaker could speak with rising falling at the end of the sentence.
อาจารย์ผู้เขียนตอบมาด้านบนคะ

Return to “14320 การออกเสียงภาษาอังกฤษ [2/60]”