Module 5 sentences for correction

(English Writing 1)
chrish

Re: Module 5 sentences for correction

Post by chrish » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:41 am

Here are my versions for the original set. In 1 and 3, the problem is with parallel forms. In 2 and 10, the writer has mixed up adjective forms with –ed and –ing. In 9 and 11, the problems involve sentence structure.

1. If you are planning to spend your vacation in a beautiful place which has nice people, delicious food and a long history, please think about Thailand.

2. You will be impressed with the wonderful places which you will find in Thailand.

3. Hospitality, kindness and friendliness are typical qualities of Thai people.

Thai people are typically kind, friendly and hospitable.

4. Buriram is a medium-sized city situated in the Northeast of Thailand/in northeast Thailand.

5. Her hometown is Nakhon Pathom, which is situated in the center of the country.

6. It is about 350 km [to the] north of Bangkok.

7. There are also many beautiful beaches. [or] It also has many beautiful beaches.

8. Lampang, which was once part of Lanna Kingdom, has unique sight-seeing around the city by horse carriage.

9. Don Wai Market is a local market beside a beautiful river.

10. If you are interested in history, we could show you the ancient kingdom of Ayutthaya.

11. Among Roi-Et’s best buys are beautiful silk and cotton textiles made by local people.

12. There are two convenient ways to get around: by road and by river.

It’s also very easy to confuse relative clauses with “where” and “which”, like in 1. The rule of thumb for telling the difference is as follows. If you write the relative clause as a separate sentence and have “there”, then use “where” as the relative pronoun:

New York is the state WHERE I am from. << I am from THERE.

But if you have “it” instead, use “which”:

If you are looking for a country WHICH has nice people, choose Thailand. << IT has nice people.

Many groups made this kind of mistake. Maybe that’s because you don’t have as many relative pronouns in Thai to choose from as we do in English. In any case, it’s a pretty advanced point.

:)

Return to “14214 การเขียนภาษาอังกฤษ 1 [2/60]”