Questionable Criteria for Determining Peers’ Efforts

(Self-study Skills for English Language Learning)
Tansy

Post by Tansy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:36 am

Re: Module 2: Getting to Know Myself, Task 1 Individual Submission

Some students used “The Story of Tabtim” as a writing template and substituted Tabtim’s personal details with theirs. So, they covered all the topics without committing any non-native grammatical errors.

Some students deviated from “The Story of Tabtim” and wrote in their own words. They covered all the topics but committed many non-native grammatical errors.

According to the rules, the reviewer should not deduct any marks for non-native grammatical errors. Therefore, the two groups of students should get the same marks.
^
I awarded the marks for this task this way, so all the students in the two groups got 5 marks.
Ironically, I have realized that it was unfair! The rules should be reinterpreted, and new criteria should be set forth as follows:

Using “The Story of Tabtim” as a writing template, the first group of students should be awarded 3 marks for not having put in enough efforts.
Not using “The Story of Tabtim” as a writing template, the second group of students should be awarded 4 marks for having put in a lot of efforts.
Students (in the third group, if any) who write in their own words without using the writing template, and mange to cover all the topics without committing any non-native grammatical errors should be awarded 5 marks for their outstanding performance.

These new criteria should be applied to the review of Module 6: Maximizing My Resources, Task 1 Individual Submission.

narinthip.tho

Re: Questionable Criteria for Determining Peers’ Efforts

Post by narinthip.tho » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:23 am

Interesting suggestion. I will forward this message to the ajarn responsible for this module and also take this into the consideration for Module 6.
Narinthip

Return to “14111 ทักษะการเรียนรู้ภาษาอังกฤษด้วยตนเอง [2/60]”