Logical Flaws in Module 6: Maximizing My Resources

(Self-study Skills for English Language Learning)
Tansy

Post by Tansy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Question 1 and 2 are perfectly OK.

3. In this situation, how can you maximize your resources in order to do your assignment effectively (based on the suggestions on page 85, 88 and 89 of the 14111 textbook)?
^
Question 3 does not make sense!

I am supposed to write a report on “Test Anxiety”. According to the instructions, I can collect information from various sources, both in Thai and English. Therefore, I find a piece of useful information on a Thai website and use software to translate it into English.
^
In real life, I cannot possibly be in this situation because I write English for a living—I am a professional Thai-English translator. I can use search engines to find useful information for authoring this report without committing plagiarism.

Anyway, let’s imagine that I cannot read and write English to save my life that I have to find a piece of useful information on a Thai website and use software to translate it. If I were in this situation, I would not maximize my resources as suggested on page 89 of the 14111 textbook–-learning English websites--in order to do my assignment effectively.

Putting myself in the shoe of somebody who cannot read and write English to save his life, the most logical answer will be: I will hire someone to translate my useful information from Thai into English. The reason is very simple. Non-native English speakers cannot possibly acquire English writing skills within a short time. Following the suggestions on page 89 of the 14111 textbook, I will not accomplish my assignment within the deadline.

For the purpose of finding out how resourceful the student is in learning English, the question should be something like this: In this situation, how can you maximize your resources in order to improve your English?
ู^
Being asked this question, I can come up with a large arsenal of English learning resources. I would love to share my resources with you guys, but I have to get back to my work now.

narinthip.tho

Re: Logical Flaws in Module 6: Maximizing My Resources

Post by narinthip.tho » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:46 am

Thank you for your comment but may I remind you again that it is the role play of the specific situation for the study in the open uni like STOU. Also, there are varieties of students' background that sometimes it is difficult to handle all related things.
Narinthip

Return to “14111 ทักษะการเรียนรู้ภาษาอังกฤษด้วยตนเอง [2/60]”