เรื่อง Double yes-no question ที่เชื่อมด้วย or ในคู่มิอและ presentation ไม่ตรงกัน

(English Pronunciation)
Narisa

เรื่อง Double yes-no question ที่เชื่อมด้วย or ในคู่มิอและ presentation ไม่ตรงกัน

Post by Narisa » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:11 am

สวัสดีค่ะอาจารย์

หนูสงสัยว่าในหนังสือคู่มือการสอน Module 8 Intonation 1 หน้า 9 พูดถึงเรื่อง Double yes-no question ที or เป็นคำเชื่อมไว้ว่า
# Would you like tea or coffee? (Raising) หมายถึงคุณจะรับชาหรือกาแฟไหม
# Would you like tea or coffee? ( Raising-falling) หมายถึงคุณจะดิ่มอะไรไหม

แต่ใน presentation นาทีที่ 8.05 ได้กล่าวไว้ตรงกันข้าม ตอนนี้หนูไม่แน่ใจว่าอันไหนคือสิ่งที่ถูกต้องเพื่อตอบคำถามงานใน module 10 ข้อสุดทัาย

รบกวนอาจารย์เช็คให้หน่อยนะคะ

ขอบคุณมากค่ะ

chrish

Re: เรื่อง Double yes-no question ที่เชื่อมด้วย or ในคู่มิอและ presentation ไม่ตรงกัน

Post by chrish » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:35 am

Hello Kh Narisa,
I'm sure many people found this point confusing. That is why we made it extra credit for the Module 10 online practice. I don't have the textbook with me now, so I won't address what is presented there. But I will try to explain how this works.

Basically, there are two possibilities.

A. "Would you like tea (rise) or coffee (rise)?" There is also usually a slight pause after "tea". (The rise after coffee might also be a rise+fall, but I'm not sure.) This question means the speaker wants you to choose between the two drinks. It seems to be clear already that you'd like something to drink, and the question is being asked to find out which drink. The natural answer to this would be just "Tea, please" or "Some coffee, please."

B. "Would you like tea or coffee (rise)?" Here there is no pause after "tea", and the phrase "tea or coffee" is said in one go. This question means the speaker wants to know if you want something to drink. He/she also saves time by letting you know that tea and coffee are available. The natural answer here include a yes or no: "No thanks, I'm fine", "Yes please, I'd like tea" or "Sure, coffee would be great."

Remember that in lists, there is also a pattern that is similar to A, although the tone won't rise unless it's a question. But the "tea or coffee" in B is like one unit, so it's different.

Hope that helps - this is a tricky point and I wish we had some recorded examples to let you listen to. Anyway, give Module 10 a try and see if you can get that extra point! :)

Return to “14320 การออกเสียงภาษาอังกฤษ [1/60]”